I’ll admit, I haven’t always been the biggest s’mores fan – and that’s mostly due to the fact that chocolate and I haven’t always been the best of friends. Back when my sister and I would attend sleep away summer camp, we’d have those camp fires where we’d sing songs and roast (aka burn) marshmallows to either eat, as is, or to sandwich in between two graham crackers and some Hershey’s chocolate squares, but I’d always be the oddball and omit the chocolate and, instead, indulge in a sticky, sweet marshmallow/graham cracker sandwich. Yum! Now that I’m older, I still have a slight aversion to anything chocolate, but I’ll always make an exception for brownies, which is where this idea for Minty S’mores Brownies was born!
For this recipe, I used the Chocolate Chip Brownie Mix that was sent to me from Cissé Cocoa, a small, but mighty company whose goal is to help the world by using, “Real ingredients, sourced with care, made with love.” I first discovered them after their addictive Brownie Thins were included in the goodie bag from the Spoon University Brainfood Conference and I really came to admire them for what they’re doing to help others.
After working in Africa – and with her extensive social justice experience – Diana Lovett founded Cissé Cocoa (named after an African girl she met) as a means of combining her passion for sustainability and her immense love of chocolate. Using organic, ethically-sourced cocoa from a cooperative in the Dominican Republic, you can feel good knowing that you’re helping support a great cause each time you buy one of these products, and what could be better than that?
To help make these brownies a little more festive, I added (maybe a little bit too much) mint extract, a nice drizzle of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter, and red and green sprinkles – totally not necessary, but, ’tis the season, right? Slap on the graham cracker crust, toss some marshmallows on top, and you may have just found the perfect way to end the holidays.
As a quick side note, I’m also happy to announce that I’ve just begun working at Food.com in a role that combines my love of social media and food. While I refrained from sharing much, if any, of my job hunting experience on here for the mere fact that I’d rather just share happy, lighthearted stuff, let’s just say that the road to get here hasn’t always been the smoothest. Nevertheless, I am now beyond excited for what the future holds and can’t wait to share more!
So, HAPPY HOLIDAYS! I hope that you and your family have an amazing time full of laughter, happiness, and hopefully lots and lots these s’mores brownies.
Minty S'mores Brownies
- 1 Box Cissé Cocoa Chocolate Chip Brownie Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon mint extract, optional
- 1/4 cup sprinkles, optional
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crushed graham crackers, melted butter, and sugar. Firmly press into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×9 baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the instructions. Add the mint extract and the sprinkles, if desired.
- Pour the brownie mix on top of the prepared graham cracker crust and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and add the mini marshmallows on top. Broil for about 1 minute, or until the top is a nice toasty brown.
- Cut and enjoy!