Yesterday was one of those “can’t be bothered” days. You know the ones I’m talking about? Where from the moment you roll out of bed is the moment you just want to get back in it, throw the covers over your head, catch up on some Game of Thrones, and wait for it to all be over!
I can’t exactly explain why, but I think I was just feeling a bit exhausted. I’ve recently started biking to work and even though I’ve really been enjoying it and the freedom that comes from not having to cram myself into a jam packed train car or just missing the train and having to wait 10 precious minutes for the next one, it’s also been kicking my booty because my body is still getting used to all of the physical activity. I’m not worried, however, as I’m sure that within the next week or two, I’ll be a biking pro (well, at least more accustomed to the commute).
Anyhow, I am feeling a lot better today because I get to share with you guys my recipe for this sinfully delicious grilled cheese sandwich! This one is a bit difficult to write a recipe for because it’s totally based on personal preference, but I’ll share a rough idea of how I made it and hopefully it’ll inspire you to make your own.
I hear that the key to the perfect golden grilled cheese is to use mayo instead of butter on the outside. I totally forgot this as I was making my sandwich, but I will definitely give it a try next time and maybe even add some sweet/sour elements like slices of granny smith apples or fig jam.
This definitely ain’t those Kraft grilled cheese sandwiches from your childhood; this one is a million times better! So I implore you to give this one a try and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
Bacon, Caramelized Onion, 3 Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Juicy, thick-cut bacon, spicy whole grain mustard, sweet caramelized onions, and three different types of cheeses come together in this irresistible and wonderfully delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
- 2 slices of bread of choice (I used a peasant loaf)
- 2 slices of thick cut bacon
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 slices of white cheddar
- 4 slices of gruyere cheese
- 2 small onions, sliced (or 1 large onion, sliced)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Place the onions and sugar into a cast iron skillet and allow to caramelize for about 20-25 mins. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place the thick cut bacon into the skillet and fry until nice and crispy (yum!!) Remove and place on paper towel lined rack.
- Spread the whole grain mustard on one half of the slices and 1/2 tablespoon of butter on the other half.
- Wipe out the cast iron skillet, place on the stove over medium heat, and add the other half of the butter.
- Assemble the sandwich by adding the half of the cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, and the rest of the cheese on top of the buttered slice and topping with the mustard covered slice.
- Carefully add the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook, pressing firmly but gently on top.
- Allow sandwich to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, depending on how golden you like your bread. If not be, press on top with a heavy bottom pot to allow for even cooking.
- Remove, slice, and enjoy (my favorite part!)