Cooking Recipes

Bacon, Caramelized Onion, 3 Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Yesterday was one of those “can’t be bothered” days. You know the ones I’m talking about? Where from the moment you roll out of bed is the moment you just want to get back in it, throw the covers over your head, catch up on some Game of Thrones, and wait for it to all be over!

510571

I can’t exactly explain why, but I think I was just feeling a bit exhausted. I’ve recently started biking to work and even though I’ve really been enjoying it and the freedom that comes from not having to cram myself into a jam packed train car or just missing the train and having to wait 10 precious minutes for the next one, it’s also been kicking my booty because my body is still getting used to all of the physical activity. I’m not worried, however, as I’m sure that within the next week or two, I’ll be a biking pro (well, at least more accustomed to the commute).

Anyhow, I am feeling a lot better today because I get to share with you guys my recipe for this sinfully delicious grilled cheese sandwich! This one is a bit difficult to write a recipe for because it’s totally based on personal preference, but I’ll share a rough idea of how I made it and hopefully it’ll inspire you to make your own.

DSC_0769

I hear that the key to the perfect golden grilled cheese is to use mayo instead of butter on the outside. I totally forgot this as I was making my sandwich, but I will definitely give it a try next time and maybe even add some sweet/sour elements like slices of granny smith apples or fig jam.

This definitely ain’t those Kraft grilled cheese sandwiches from your childhood;  this one is a million times better! So I implore you to give this one a try and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

DSC_0766

Bacon, Caramelized Onion, 3 Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Juicy, thick-cut bacon, spicy whole grain mustard, sweet caramelized onions, and three different types of cheeses come together in this irresistible and wonderfully delicious grilled cheese sandwich.

Ingredients

• 2 slices of bread of choice (I used a peasant loaf)
  • 2 slices of thick cut bacon
  • 4 slices of provolone cheese
  • 4 slices of white cheddar
  • 4 slices of gruyere cheese
  • 2 small onions, sliced (or 1 large onion, sliced)
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
  • 2 tablespoons of butter

Preparation:

1. Place the onions and sugar into a cast iron skillet and allow to caramelize for about 20-25 mins. Remove and allow to cool.
  2. Place the thick cut bacon into the skillet and fry until nice and crispy (yum!!) Remove and place on paper towel lined rack.
  3. Spread the whole grain mustard on one half of the slices and 1/2 tablespoon of butter on the other half.
  4. Wipe out the cast iron skillet, place on the stove over medium heat, and add the other half of the butter.
  5. Assemble the sandwich by adding the half of the cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, and the rest of the cheese on top of the buttered slice and topping with the mustard covered slice.
  6. Carefully add the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook, pressing firmly but gently on top.
  7. Allow sandwich to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, depending on how golden you like your bread. If not be, press on top with a heavy bottom pot to allow for even cooking.
  8. Remove, slice, and enjoy (my favorite part!)

I’ll also be bringing this over to Fiesta Friday #124 cohosted this week by  Lindy at Love in the Kitchen and Liz at spades, spatulas & spoons. See you there!!

fiesta-friday-badge-button-i-party.jpg

Debbie
    June 17, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Where do I sign up for one of these?!? yum!

Judi
    June 17, 2016 at 9:19 pm

This is my kind of sandwich – you inspired me just with your pictures. I’ve been in the habit of making caramelized onions and freezing them so I always them for a recipe. Thanks for sharing…

bornandbredinbrooklyn
      June 18, 2016 at 2:44 am

That’s such an awesome idea! I’ve never thought about freezing caramelized onions (or maybe they never last long enough before I eat them all), but thanks for the tip and for stopping by! 🙂

CakePants
    June 18, 2016 at 1:42 am

Mmm…grilled cheese is one of my guilty pleasures, and this looks like a great way to make it a little more sophisticated! I definitely feel you on those “I can’t adult today” days. I had one the other day after spending nearly 3 hours on the phone with my insurance company. This grilled cheese sure would have made my day a little brighter – I’ll have to keep this in mind for the next time I have one of those days!

bornandbredinbrooklyn
      June 18, 2016 at 2:43 am

Thank you!! I am not sure what happened yesterday, but I can tell you that I’m so glad today is Friday. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

nadia@maisontravers
    June 18, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Sounds like the perfect grilled cheese.

bornandbredinbrooklyn
      June 21, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Thank you!!

Julie
    June 20, 2016 at 2:41 am

I just love everything about this beautiful sandwich. This combination is just calling my name!

Justine
      June 21, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Thank you, Julie!! It definitely was one heck of a sandwich 😀

Debbie
    June 21, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I wish I had seen this before I had already planned my Meatless Monday supper last night. YUM!

Justine
      June 21, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Haha! Just take out the bacon and you should be alright…Thanks for stopping by! 😀

Liz
    June 22, 2016 at 12:20 am

Grilled cheese variations are my favorite “quick” dinners after a movie night. Just wonderful with a glass of beer or wine. This version is a winner, it made my mouth water. Thank you for bringing it to FF.

bornandbredinbrooklyn
      June 22, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Hi Liz! I think this would be perfect with a nice, cold glass of beer. I’ll definitely try that next time 😉 Thank you and thanks so much for stopping by!!

Angie | Fiesta Friday
    June 24, 2016 at 2:53 am

Uh oh, now I’m in trouble!! Close to 11 pm now and I desperately want one of these!! They look soooo good, omg! I must, must make them tomorrow. That’s a must! 😋😋 And lol on that I-can’t-adult picture. I’m going to borrow it, haha…

Fiesta Friday #125 - Fiesta Friday
    June 24, 2016 at 12:00 pm

[…] Bacon, Caramelized Onion, 3 Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Justine @ Born And Bred In Brooklyn […]