Cooking Food Recipes

Homemade Ricotta Ravioli

Today’s recipe is for a really quick, super cheesy Ricotta Ravioli that’ll make you never want to go back to boxed pasta again!

A few months ago I graciously received the pasta attachment for the KitchenAid mixer as a gift, but being that I’d never made pasta from scratch before, I felt just a little intimidated to actually take it out of the box. So there it sat in the nether regions of my closet collecting dust  just begging to finally be used and I finally decided to push my fears aside give it a try and I’m so happy I did!

To prepare, I watched videos on YouTube and checked out different recipes online, and what I took away from it all is that many pastas are made with the same three basic ingredients: Flour, Water, and Eggs. Some of the things that can differentiate one pasta from another are the amounts of each ingredient used, whether extra ingredients such as Salt or Olive Oil are added, or even how the dough is prepared (by hand or in a food processor).

From watching this cooking video by Laura in the Kitchen, I also first learned of an ingredient known as semolina, which is a finely ground durum wheat that allows the pasta dough to stretch a considerable amount without breaking and achieve that perfect consistency because it has a high percentage of gluten.

For my pasta, I decided to go with half semolina flour and half all-purpose flour, as on the package for the Bob’s Red Mill Semolina that I used, it stated that many people prefer their pasta that way, and it truly turned out better than I imagined.

After placing all of my ingredients in a food processor (because who has time to mix by hand?) I gave it a few pulses and the pasta came together in just a matter of minutes.

And first turning on the pasta machine, I came to realize just how simple it is to use and soon enough I had long sheets of yummy pasta ready to be made into some delicious ravioli.

I kept the filling simple, using just ricotta and parmesan cheeses (with optional spinach), topped it with pesto using this recipe, and I was ready to dig in!

Now that I’ve conquered my fear, homemade pasta will definitely be something I’ll continue making, and I hope you will too, and next time I definitely think I’ll get even more adventurous with what I try! Buon Appetito!

Please don’t forget to follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!

Homemade Ricotta Ravioli

Ingredients

Basic Pasta Recipe

Recipe adapted from Bob’s Red Mill Basic Pasta Recipe

• 3/4 cup Semolina flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Ricotta Filling

Recipe credit: Laura in the Kitchen Ravioli Recipe

• 1 3/4 pounds of Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1/4 pound fresh spinach (optional)

Preparation

Basic Pasta Recipe

1. Combine 3/4 cup Semolina, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor (you can also use your hands) until just combined.
  2. Add the beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons water, and 2 tablespoons olive oil and continue to pulse until all of the ingredients are combined.
  3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until elastic. Roll into a ball.
  4. Wrap dough in a towel or plastic bag and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
  5. On a floured surface, roll ball into a disk and cut into four quarters.
  6. Take each quarter and flatten enough to fit through your pasta machine’s widest setting and roll into a pasta sheet.
  7. Continue passing through pasta machine until you’ve acquired your desired thickness.

Ricotta Filling

1. Place 1 3/4 pounds ricotta, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese, 1 egg, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until smooth.
  2. If you would like to add spinach, first wilt it in a pan with a little olive oil and salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding to ricotta cheese mixture.

Ravioli

1. Take one pasta sheet and place a tablespoon of filling, leaving about an inch of space in between each.
  2. Brush a little water on the edges of the pasta and in between the filling and gently place another sheet of pasta on top making sure that the edges are completely sealed and without air pockets.
  3. Cut ravioli with either a ravioli cutter, knife, or circular cookie cutters. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with either flour or semolina.
  4. Fill a large pot with water and salt and boil ravioli until they begin to float.
  5. Remove, drain, and eat with favorite sauces and toppings.

I’ll definitely be bringing these over to Fiesta Friday #58 hosted by Angie at The Novice Gardener and co-hosted this week by Caroline at Caroline’s Cooking and Elaine at foodbod. See you there!

Fiesta Friday Badge Button I party @

Redbird Recipes
    March 6, 2015 at 4:25 pm

They look delicious! My first pasta attempt was….not fun. lol I went through 18 eggs!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      March 9, 2015 at 8:56 am

Haha! Thank you 😀 Luckily this time I didn’t have to go through so many eggs, but I’ve definitely made my fair share of mistakes with other things I’ve tried. I love that cooking allows you to try so many new things and it definitely teaches perseverance.

sabine
    March 6, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Your pasta look great, and I thinks the simple fillings often taste best. Ricotta and spinach happens to be my all time favorite!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      March 9, 2015 at 8:58 am

Thank you! And yes, I wanted to keep it simple because this was my first time making it. I’ll definitely branch out and try something new next time.

Lydia
    March 6, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Wow these are so pretty – well done you! I made ravioli for the first time a few weeks ago too — they’re even tastier when you know the effort that’s gone in to making them 😉

carolinescookingblog
    March 6, 2015 at 6:26 pm

These look great! I treated myself to a pasta maker a couple months back and did manage to use it to make some sweet potato ravioli (which were delicious) but somehow despite all good intentions to use it again it hasn’t quite happened. I need to soon, though, right, homemade pasta is just too good! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous-looking and tasty-sounding gnocchi with Fiesta Friday.

apuginthekitchen
    March 6, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Great work those are gorgeous ravioli. Very nice!

Fiesta Friday #58 | The Novice Gardener
    March 6, 2015 at 10:16 pm

[…] Justine G […]

lapetitepaniere
    March 7, 2015 at 12:26 am

These Raviolis are so perfect 🙂

J Seaton
    March 7, 2015 at 1:18 am

These look great! I’ve wanted that KitchenAid attachment for a while now, but am waiting for a sale or something. Good to hear it’s easy to use, even for a beginner.

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      March 9, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Thank you! And absolutely give it a try. You may not even need to get this pasta maker as there are so many others that do just as good a job. Hopefully you’ll be churning out homemade pasta soon 🙂

Divine Spice Box
    March 7, 2015 at 2:31 am

Absolutely stunning .. i love Raviolis and this one looks stunning ! 🙂

thebrookcook
    March 7, 2015 at 6:39 am

Stunning! Perfection!! 🙂 How thin did you roll your dough? I think I’ve rolled mine to the “5” setting but found it too thin… Thanks!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      March 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Thank you!! My thinnest, if I’m not mistaken, was 5 because when I went one setting lower it definitely was way too thin and could not sufficiently hold the filling. I think it depends on the consistency of the dough, but 5 definitely worked well 🙂

thebrookcook
        March 9, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Thank you- It is so frustrating when they fall apart after all of that hard work…

Michelle @ Giraffes Can Bake
    March 8, 2015 at 9:53 am

This looks awesome Justine, I should really try making my own pasta

coconutcraze
    March 9, 2015 at 10:57 pm

I have never thought about making ravioli…kind of satisfied with the store bought stuff! Now I have an urge to try! Thank you, Justine for the motivation!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      March 10, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Definitely give it a try! It can be whipped up quickly (and even by hand if you don’t have a pasta machine) and it’s all worth it in the end. Let me know if you ever do 🙂

bitsofnice
    March 10, 2015 at 2:12 am

Your raviolis look delicious! Nothing beats fresh homemade pasta. We’ve never used semolina, always 00 grade flour so we’ll need to try it next time 🙂

Nancy
    March 10, 2015 at 2:50 pm

So impressive, Justine! I’m in awe of those who make any homemade pasta. But ravioli?? Ugh, I feel so inferior. 😉 Someday soon, I’ll give it a go…though I doubt mine could be as perfect as the ones you’re sharing here! Bravo…they look delicious!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      March 10, 2015 at 10:17 pm

That is so sweet of you to say, Nancy!! But believe me, it is a lot easier than it seems. You may not even need a pasta machine (if you don’t have one already); just a rolling pin and some elbow grease and you’ll be enjoying homemade ravioli in no time 😀

Nancy
        March 11, 2015 at 5:20 am

I’ve had a pasta machine for at least 15 years…still in the box! Hahhah…I think it’s time for me to step out of my box and face my fears. 😉

Thai Green Curry | Born and Bred in Brooklyn
    March 13, 2015 at 9:36 am

[…] week we took a trip via our taste buds to Italy with this really yummy Homemade Ricotta Ravioli recipe and today we’re going over 5,000 miles east to a place near and dear to my heart, […]