The entire house filled with the warm scent of lemons as this beautiful, flavorful Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake baked to its full glory.
For some reason, it’s hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that these cold, dreary months are actually peak season for colorful, beautiful citrus fruits like tangerines, juicy ruby red grapefruit, and honeybells (a tangerine-grapefruit hybrid), anyone? But they are! So to keep up with the times, and because I believe we could all use a little sunshine in our lives, today I’m bringing you a beautiful, flavorful Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake that can help brighten up even the darkest of days.
I love trying new citrus fruits, and even recently tried my first blood orange to positive reviews, and if given the opportunity, could probably eat an entire bag of tangerines without realizing. They’re the perfect fruit to carry around in your bag without worrying that they’ll get bruised, are packed with vitamin C to help keep the body healthy and strong during cold/flu season, and really are just great pick-me-ups when hunger starts rearing its ugly head.
I’ve decided to take my love for all things citrus and try baking something new, and with my newly purchased bundt pun, I thought a bundt cake would be the perfect thing to make. The juicy lemons creates an amazing, bright flavor and the buttermilk adds a rich denseness, so the two flavors really play well off of one another.
It’s a great way to use up any leftover lemons you may have just begging to be made into something scrumptious and it’s something that can be put together in no time at all. It definitely isn’t a cake for the faint of heart as it is MASSIVE and filled with all kinds of things that those who are trying to eat healthy should stay away from, but I’m always a believer in indulging every once in a while 😉
Today is also Part 2 of the Fiesta Friday Anniversary Celebration over at the Novice Gardener and if you’ve yet to stop by, you’re definitely missing out! See you there!
Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake
Recipe adapted from Lemon-Buttermilk Bundt Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare bundt pan with butter and flour.
- Whisk the baking powder, salt, and flour in a medium bowl.
- Make a lemon sugar by mixing the lemon zest and sugar together in bowl of mixer.
- Add the butter to the sugar and mix on high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure that each is fully incorporated before adding the next, and mix for an additional 4 minutes.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and lemon juice, ensuring that each is fully mixed into batter.
- Reduce speed to low and begin adding the dry ingredients, in 3 parts, and buttermilk, in 2 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Gently pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake in preheated oven for about an hour or until golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a bowl, adding more lemon juice if needed, until smooth.