Cooking Food Recipes

Thai Spring Rolls with a Spicy Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

After last week’s dim sum adventure, we took a trip to one of Brooklyn’s largest Asian markets where I was able to pick up a majority of ingredients for something I’m so excited to bring to you today: Thai Spring Rolls!

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Thailand last year and while there I tried my hand at some authentic Thai cooking. I made everything from spicy tom yum soup to creamy green curry, but one thing that always made an appearance were these delicious, little spring rolls that could be found on virtually every menu and street corner.

One of my most memorable moments during this trip was cooking them high up in the Thai mountains with no electricity and only a wood burning stove. My group and I trekked for hours throughout the mountainside before finally arriving to a local hilltribe village and by the time we got there I was more exhausted than I think I’ve ever been. Nevertheless, every trip, slip, and fall was all worth it because the hospitality and warmth of the people that we met couldn’t be beat.

1613977_1376063132673348_1734221873_n

Barefoot and in the kitchen making spring rolls – A photo taken by my awesome guide, Patty! πŸ˜‰

I always believe that one of the best ways to bond is over a meal and I was able to do so with the members of this village by helping prepare that night’s dinner (which included spring rolls, of course!) We couldn’t speak their language and they couldn’t speak English, but with the help of our guide (and maybe just a tiny bit of the local rice moonshine), we became instant friends.

SpringRollsOverall, I love the way these spring rolls turned out. The crunch on the outside was perfect, the little bits of tofu on the inside soaked up all the delicious flavors provided by the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar, while helping add a nice, spongy bite, and those little springy glass noodles were the shining star and delicious final touch. The dipping sauce was also a wonderful complement to the dish and helped provide an addictive spicy bite.

I had a little trouble in the beginning where they started falling apart in the oil because I assembled them the night before and the moisture got to them therefore ripping holes in the wrapper (lesson learned!) But I switched the filling into fresh wrappers and am so happy I didn’t give up. These brought me right back to Thailand and I think that I did them justice. I hope you enjoy!

Being that these spring rolls are something I absolutely love, I thought they’d be the perfect thing to bring to such a momentous occasion as the big one-year anniversary of Fiesta Friday!

IMG_7218For those of you who don’t know, Fiesta Friday is a weekly gathering of awesome bloggers sharing their amazing recipes all thanks to Angie at The Novice Gardener. Ever since I’ve joined the festivities I’ve been met with nothing but so much kindness and support and have been able to find so many new great blogs to follow. If you haven’t joined the party yet, I definitely recommend joining today’s big celebration as I’m sure it’ll be a good one. See you there!

Fiesta Friday Badge Button I party @

Thai Spring Rolls with a Spicy Sweet Dipping Sauce

• Servings: 2 Dozen
  • Difficulty: Intermediate

Ingredients

Thai Spring Rolls

Recipe credit: Baan Hongnual Cookery School Cookbook (*The measurements used are part of the metric system, so I pretty much just eyeballed how much of everything I needed, but still wanted to include how much the actual recipe says to use.)

• 1 pack of spring roll wrappers

• 1/4 cup water
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon dried crushed chili
  • 1+1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 tablespoons cool water

Preparation

Thai Spring Rolls

1. Soak the noodles until soft and cut into short lengths.
  2. Heat oil in pan and cook chicken, tofu, and garlic. After chicken is cooked add the bean sprouts, baby corn, garlic chives, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar.
  3. Add the glass noodles for a few minutes, stirring until done, then remove from heat.
  4. Lay a spring roll wrapper on a flat, dry surface and place 1 tablespoon of the filling on the lower half of wrapper.
  5. Fold the bottom edge up over the filling tightly. Seal the roll with beaten egg. Repeat until the wrappers and fillings are finished.
  6. Deep fry spring rolls in oil, several at a time, turning them over to brown evenly. Drain.
  7. Allow to cool slightly and serve with spicy sweet chili sauce.

Spicy Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

1. Place all ingredients – except for cornstarch-water mixture – in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat to medium and allow to boil for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
  3. Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch-water mixture. Stir to incorporate until sauce thickens.
  4. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving with spring rolls.

Enjoy!!

Amanda
    January 23, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I love dim sum and the asian market. So glad you recreated at home.

Keira Knight 14
    January 23, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Reblogged this on Baking&Painting.

Nancy
    January 23, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Delicious looking spring rolls… and that dipping sauce sounds heavenly! You’ve peaked my interest… rice moonshine!?! Now THAT sounds unique!

apuginthekitchen
    January 23, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Love your spring rolls and the perfect appetizer to bring to the party. You really prepared them well, they look delicious,

Loretta
    January 23, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Oh how wonderful, I do love spring rolls and that sauce sounds so unique πŸ™‚ Happy FF!

First Fiesta Friday Anniversary (Part 1) | The Novice Gardener
    January 23, 2015 at 9:33 pm

[…] Justine G […]

The Novice Gardener
    January 23, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Oh, these spring rolls are just the best! You make them so perfectly, too! I need to make these asap. My kids absolutely LOVE them! And I love the dipping sauce as much as the rolls. When I eat them, I definitely double dip or triple dip, haha…. But that’s ok, I get a little bowl of sauce for myself!

Btw, Justine, how did you add that little fire icon on your title? InLinkz had trouble reading it, it registered as an unknown character and it briefly brought down the linky widget and nobody could link anymore! it took me and InLinkz a while to figure out what happened! Hahah….I’m sure you didn’t mean to do it, but it was quite hilarious. πŸ˜€

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 24, 2015 at 9:06 am

Oh no! I’m so sorry. Sometimes I just like adding little flourishes here and there to my posts and thought the little fire icon was too cute. I just Googled it and up it popped. I definitely know better for next time!

Also, thank you so much for the kind words! I definitely had fun making these and if you try them I hope you enjoy them just as much πŸ˜‰

Hilda
    January 23, 2015 at 11:33 pm

You have done a beautiful job on these spring rolls, and with that dipping sauce, they are just the perfect party food. Thanks for bringing them to Fiesta Friday’s first anniversary shindig.

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 25, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Hilda, thank you for your kind words! I’m happy to bring these to the party. Thanks for stopping by πŸ˜‰

chefjulianna
    January 23, 2015 at 11:57 pm

What a wonderful post! You have shared a beautiful recipe with us! I don’t know a soul who doesn’t like Thai spring rolls! How lucky you are to have taken a cooking course in Thailand! Thanks also for the photos of how to wrap them! This is perfect for a celebration like ours!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 25, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Thank you so much, Julianna! I so happy that you’ve stopped by. Spring rolls are some of my favorite things to eat and I’m glad to bring them to the party. Happy Fiesta Friday!

Jhuls
    January 24, 2015 at 8:22 am

I love spring rolls!! πŸ˜€ These are so delicious, Justine. And thank you for the lovely story. It’s so nice of you. <3 Happy FF & hope to see you next week.

Michelle @ Giraffes Can Bake
    January 24, 2015 at 12:14 pm

wow these look sooo good, it’s so cool that you were able to go to thailand and then use your experience to create authentic yummy things like this!

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 25, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Thank you, Michelle! I’m happy to share these yummy recipes with everyone. Thanks for stopping by! πŸ˜‰

varinaj
    January 24, 2015 at 3:29 pm

This is totally inspiring – I, too, had a chance to take a cooking class in Thailand a few years ago (in a far less adventurous setting than you, however!), and while I kept the little “cookbook” from the class, I have never deigned to recreate those meals here at home. So cool that you did!!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm

You definitely should break out the cookbook and give some recipes a try! Some of them may seem a little complicated or the ingredients may be difficult to find, but it’s definitely all worth it in the end. Thanks for stopping by!

Julie is HostessAtHeart
    January 24, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Your spring rolls look delicious. I can’t imagine cooking them with a wood stove. You had an amazing adventure.

Kat Cameron
    January 25, 2015 at 10:02 am

You made them! Yay! I’m so happy for you. I really want to try some Thai peanut sauces for my blog, so I might need the help of you and your Thai recipe book!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 25, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I did! And I’m so happy with how they turned out. You should definitely make some chicken satay! I drool just thinking about it.

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
    January 25, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Thanks so much πŸ™‚

Selma's Table
    January 25, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Spring rolls are one of my favourite things – love the sound of these with the tofu and the dipping sauce. What a lovely photo of you cooking on the wood burning stoves – it must bring back so many wonderful memories. So pleased that you feel the Fiesta love, too!!

Janine
    January 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

This sound delicious! I agree, best way to bond and make new friends is definitely through food. Thanks for sharing =)

Lily
    January 26, 2015 at 11:59 am

Spring rolls is one of my favorite appetizers, I just love the crispy outer shell, your look delicious, thanks for sharing:)

Giramuk's Kitchen
    January 27, 2015 at 1:10 pm

These look amazing Justine! I love eating springrolls… and I especially love springrolls with glass noodles and thai flavours! I’m pinning this so I can make them soon!

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 28, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Thank you so much! I had a great time making these and love being able to share with others. If you do make these, I hope you enjoy them just as much πŸ˜€

petra08
    January 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Beautiful and delicious looking spring rolls! What a treat πŸ™‚

thebrookcook
    January 28, 2015 at 8:02 am

I want to go to the Brooklyn Asian market now!! πŸ™‚

viaja2
    January 28, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Los rollitos tienen un aspecto muy apetecible, y parecen un aperitivo muy bueno para la Fiesta Friday.
    Siempre me han gustado pero no los he hecho en casa. Seguro que me animarΓ© a probar cualquier dΓ­a.
    Saludos.

Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 28, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Muchas gracias por sus palabras amables. Te recomiendo que pruebe esta receta en casa, porque los rollitos son muy delicioso! Gracias por su visita!

viaja2
        January 28, 2015 at 2:13 pm

La tendrΓ© en cuenta, aunque los harΓ© no demasiado picantes,
        Muchas gracias

Thai Green Curry | Born and Bred in Brooklyn
    March 13, 2015 at 9:37 am

[…] returning, I’ve attempted to recreate some of the dishes that I got to try like Pad Thai and Spring Rolls, but it can often be difficult to find all of the necessary ingredients needed to complete an […]