Baking Cooking Food Recipes

French Madeleines

Madeleines are the sort of treat that are as delicate and sumptuous as their name suggests. From their beautiful shell shape to their irresistible soft, buttery texture, the recipe I used to recreate these delicacies definitely does not disappoint.

photo 1There are several different theories as to where and how the madeleine is said to have originated, but its history is said to date back to the late 1700s where in the town of Commercy, in the North of the Lorraine region of France, they were named after a young maid who worked for the Duke of Lorraine. She needed to prepare pastries for a large banquet and this was the only recipe she knew and so the Madeleine was born!

These madeleines luckily only took me just one try to get them the way I desired. Apparently the trick to acquiring the characteristic bump is allowing the batter to rest twice, and while I did do this and it didn’t work out exactly as it was supposed to, it fortunately didn’t detract from its overall appearance, flavor or texture.

I decided to use a recipe found in chef/blogger David Lebovitz’s latest cookbook, My Paris Kitchen that I received during his cookbook release party held at the Tasting Table test kitchen. I’d won access into this event through an online contest, which was absolutely thrilling because I love both Tasting Table and David Lebovitz’s work, so it was the best of both worlds for me that evening.

Having fun at the Tasting Table Test Kitchen

Having fun at the Tasting Table Test Kitchen

Me with David Lebovitz

Me with David Lebovitz! My awesome sis took this shot!

But I digress! These cookies (or cakes) are treats that look more difficult to make than they really are. Once you’ve got your madeleine baking tray (I found mine at Home Goods) and of course the short list of ingredients, you’re all set to impress your friends and family at the next big event!

I also used the vanilla sugar that I made by using empty vanilla bean pods submerged in sugar for about 2 weeks. It helped to infused even more vanilla flavor and it was definitely beyond yummy!

Yummy vanilla beans

Yummy vanilla beans

These are best enjoyed right out of the oven with a nice cup of tea or coffee and I’ll be bringing these to Fiesta Friday #50 over at The Novice Gardner. See you there!

French Madeleines

• Servings: 20 Teacakes
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients

• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon whole vanilla bean or 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 tablespoons (4 ounces/115g) unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon honey

Preparation

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, cream together the eggs and sugar on high speed until doubled in volume, 3 to 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
  3. Cover and let rest for one hour.
  4. While the batter is resting, melt the butter and honey in a small saucepan and allow to cool to room temperature.
  5. Mix the butter and honey mixture into the batter and allow to rest for another hour.
  6. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and fill two buttered madeleine molds with batter about three quarters full.
  7. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until they spring to the touch.
  8. Remove from oven, wait 30 seconds, and then tip onto a cooling rack.

apuginthekitchen
    January 9, 2015 at 2:31 pm

How lucky are you, I love tasting table what a great event. I also love David Leibovitz, and Madeleines. Yours look perfect and perfectly delicious. Well done.

Fiesta Friday #50 | The Novice Gardener
    January 9, 2015 at 4:06 pm

[…] Justine G […]

Ginger
    January 9, 2015 at 4:34 pm

What a lovely post – I love that dress, btw – you’re looking so glamorous! Bet you David L was chuffed to be on the picture with you 😉
    Your Madeleines look beautiful!

Arl's World
    January 9, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Love these! Yours look delicious! Cute dress too, btw. 🙂

Selma's Table
    January 10, 2015 at 8:06 am

Hello, I am one of the co-hosts at Fiesta Friday this week and would just like to say a big thank you for bringing these to the party! They look perfect! Interesting history too and OMG you met David Leibovitz – and I have to say that you outglammed him completely! Thanks again and Happy Fiesta Friday!

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 10, 2015 at 10:47 am

Hi Selma! I appreciate you stopping by. Thank you so much for your kind words, you’ve made me blush haha! Happy Fiesta Friday 😀

Sue
    January 10, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Hi there and welcome to the party! I just wanted to let you know that the link up has an error, when you are at Angie’s site and click on your name, it takes you to a page on your blog that says “page no longer found.” I will let Angie know. But regardless, thank you for bringing the madelines, always a classic and special dessert to have after all the food, with tea or coffee.

Loretta
    January 10, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Wow, how lovely, just love madelines, and these look pretty simple too. I just have to buy my tray, and I’d be good to go :). Looking at the ingredients, I like that the sugar quantity wasn’t by any means “too much”. You do look gorgeous in that dress, and I love the shoes too 🙂

Julie is HostessAtHeart
    January 10, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Your madeleines look perfectly delicious and ready to the party!

lapetitepaniere
    January 11, 2015 at 5:57 am

Your Madeleines look delightful, love these little treats with a cup of tea, it reminds me my childhood 🙂 Happy Fiest Friday 🙂

The Frugal Foodie
    January 12, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Yum! Love the flecks of vanilla bean in those madeleines. It was so nice to meet you at the pantry swap last Friday and I look forward to seeing what you’re up to via this blog. Hopefully our paths will cross again at a future Foodstand event!

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 12, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Thanks so much! It was so awesome meeting you as well and your chocolate chip cookies were great 😀 Don’t be a stranger, now :p

Lydia
    January 12, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Oh wow these look amazing… and getting them right on the first go?! It usually takes me a few more attempts than that (not that I’m complaining about all the extra tasting…)

Fae's Twist & Tango
    January 15, 2015 at 12:18 am

Moist and good looking Madeleine… and, I agree with Selma, you totally out-glammed David big time darling! 😀 ))) You are a gorgeous lady!

The Novice Gardener
    January 15, 2015 at 11:10 pm

What?! You met David Lebovitz? Lucky!! He’s practically my hero! And those madeleines! I need to rescue my baking tray and make some asap. And guess what? I use David’s recipe!

Fiesta Friday #51 | The Novice Gardener