Baking Cooking Food Recipes

Eggnog Flan

Something about the creamy silkiness of its custard and the bitter sweetness of the caramel keeps me coming back bite after bite with this really simple, really delicious Eggnog Flan.

Flan is type of baked custard typically found on dessert menus in Latin American countries, and is a wonderful finish to any spicy meal because it helps to cool everything back down.

I thought using eggnog would be perfect because both eggnog and flan use eggs, so I knew they’d work well together, and with the upcoming holidays, it’s a great way to use any of that leftover eggnog that is just sitting in the refrigerator.

I decided to use vanilla beans instead of vanilla extract to give it that nice boost of flavor, but if you can’t find vanilla beans (I had to go to three different stores!), vanilla extract is definitely okay. I also added a dash of ground cloves and cinnamon so it had that warm holiday taste.

The fun part, but the one you must be super careful with, is when you flip the flan onto a plate so that the sweet caramel rushes down its sides like some sugary volcano from the gods.

If your flan is having a difficult time coming out of its baking dish, fill another shallow dish with hot water and place the flan inside of it for about 3 to 5 seconds. After that, lightly tap the sides with your palm until it begins to loosen.

For the more grown-up version, you can add any alcoholic beverage of choice such as bourbon, rum, or whiskey.

So instead of throwing away that eggnog, make it into this easy flan!

I was so bummed to have missed out on Fiesta Friday last week because I got so caught up in the holidays, but I’ll definitely be bringing this to Fiesta Friday #45! Can’t wait to see what else has been brought to the party.

Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Bloglovin

Eggnog Flan

• Servings: 4-6
  • Difficulty: easy

Adapted from this recipe.

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 5 eggs
  • 4 cups eggnog
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation

1. First make the caramel by placing the sugar and water in pan. Swirl the the mixture until it turns golden brown, but do not stir.
  2. Once sugar is completely melted, pour into the bottom of your dish and set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 350Β°F.
  4. Whisk eggnog, eggs, vanilla bean (or vanilla extract), ground cloves, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Do not over whisk.
  5. Fill a separate pot with water that will be used to fill another pan that your flan will be inside of while baking.
  6. Carefully pour eggnog mixture over caramel and place baking dish into pan and fill with enough water until it is about halfway up the sides.
  7. Place in oven and bake for one hour covered with foil and another hour uncovered.
  8. Remove from oven once the flan is firm but still jiggles.
  9. Allow to cool to room temperature before placing in fridge for a minimum of two hours or overnight.
  10. Carefully flip flan onto a plate and dust with ground cinnamon or top with whipped cream and enjoy!

mschmidt87
    December 5, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Sounds great! I love eggnog!

December 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Yes! It really is yummy and a great way to use up that leftover eggnog πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by!

Nancy
    December 5, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Yum…finally a use for the carton of eggnog my hubby insist on buying, yet never finishes off! This looks fabulous and the flavors sound delicious…thanks for sharing your recipe!

December 5, 2014 at 5:14 pm

This is definitely a good way to use those eggs! Hope you enjoy πŸ˜‰

The Novice Gardener
    December 5, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I love flans, all kinds! So even though I’ve never tried eggnog flan, I know I would love it! Looks great! I’m excited about trying this! πŸ™‚

December 5, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Thanks so much!! I wanted to make it festive with the eggnog and it worked out wonderfully πŸ˜€

Btw, I believe that I submitted my link to join Fiesta Friday earlier today, but don’t see the thumbnail. I just want to ensure that I did it correctly or if I have to submit again. Thanks!

The Novice Gardener
        December 5, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I am in the process of approving the links and your thumbnail will appear shortly. πŸ™‚

December 5, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Oh, wonderful. Thank you! πŸ™‚

aiming4simple
    December 5, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I am so intrigued that I just may try this flan! Though I am not a fan of eggnog as a beverage, I think I would love the flavours this way!

December 6, 2014 at 12:09 am

I’m not the biggest eggnog fan either, but I wanted to keep this festive and I think it worked out well! πŸ™‚ The eggnog flavor wasn’t overpowering at all and I think it helped make this dessert silky smooth. Definitely let me know if you ever give this a try πŸ˜‰

Fiesta Friday #45 | The Novice Gardener
    December 5, 2014 at 11:50 pm

[…] Justine G […]

Ema Jones
    December 6, 2014 at 12:04 am

I’m big fan of flan cakes!

December 6, 2014 at 12:10 am

Me too, thanks! This one is a great one to try πŸ™‚

Ema Jones
        December 6, 2014 at 12:40 am

Ofcourse it is. Merry Christmas πŸ™‚

December 6, 2014 at 12:44 am

Merry Christmas to you as well πŸ˜‰

Melissa @ The Glen House
    December 6, 2014 at 3:21 am

Fabulous dessert!

December 6, 2014 at 10:58 am

Thanks πŸ™‚

Aruna Panangipally
    December 6, 2014 at 8:16 am

It was the pic that first caught my eye. What a simple and delicious recipe! Happy Fiesta Friday!

December 6, 2014 at 10:55 am

Thank you! It really is simple and great for the holidays πŸ™‚ Happy Fiesta Friday to you as well!

Esther Lopez
    December 6, 2014 at 10:03 am

No offense but flan is from Europe, as it is the horchata, the churros and a bunch of sweet things that some latin american love to shout proudly that they are original from them.
    If you have problems with your caramel and it really sticks on the mold add a few drops of lemon juice when you are preparing it. This prevents that it will crystallize. Anyway, I am not really sure right now about the FΒΊ but 2 hours inside a oven it is too much. Even if it is turn off. Flan must have the same texture as jelly but with egg flavor, if not in Spain we say it is a “Tortilla Dulce”.
    If you like coffee give to this a try. Same recipe as yours but change spices by 1 cup of coffee, 1/2 heavy cream. Prepare the same way, cook it a bit less (it will get harder inside the fridge). When it will arrive the moment to eat it add whipped cream. Good luck πŸ˜‰

December 6, 2014 at 11:42 am

I know that flan is originally from France, but not once did I say it was from Latin America, I only wrote that it is typically found on menus there (and where I first tried this dessert).

2 hours is also the perfect amount of time. When it gets pulled out of the oven it should be solid, but still jiggle just a little when removed. This is so that it completely sets and can continue to solidify as it refrigerates and doesn’t fall apart as you flip it onto a plate. If that amount of time didn’t work for me, I most definitely wouldn’t have recommended it on the recipe.

Everyone is different and has different techniques, but that’s the fun part about cooking and experimenting! This is what worked for me and what may work for others, but you may have a completely different idea in mind. If you ever try this one let me know. Good luck to you as well πŸ˜‰

Esther Lopez
        December 6, 2014 at 11:53 am

We don’t have eggnog here, dear. Even cranberry sauce it is very hard to find. I am glad that recipe worked for you. I am sure it is good. Good luck.

Ginger
    December 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm

This looks absolutely delish! The eggnog is ingenious – makes it perfect for Christmas! Happy Fiesta Friday πŸ™‚

December 6, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Thank you so much! If you ever try this, I hope you enjoy it just as much πŸ™‚ Happy Fiesta Friday!

Fae's Twist & Tango
    December 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm

God know how many kinds of flans I’ve made. But never with eggnog. I love eggnog, so I guess it is going to be an eggnog flan next time. πŸ˜›

December 6, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Haha! There’s always a first for everything. If you do try, please let me know πŸ™‚

cookingwithauntjuju.com
    December 7, 2014 at 10:21 am

Looks delicious – usually we just drink the eggnog but putting it in a dessert I am sure is very tasty πŸ™‚

December 7, 2014 at 11:02 am

Thanks! πŸ™‚

MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar
    December 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

What an inspired combination… I adore eggnog – and flan. I grew to love flans when I lived in Brazil as a child. Thanks so much for sharing this with us on Fiesta Friday!

December 8, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thanks so much! That’s so great to see. Flan is such a yummy, easy dessert and I thought it’d be fun to share at Fiesta Friday. Thanks for stopping by! πŸ™‚

Michelle @ Giraffes Can Bake
    December 8, 2014 at 8:24 am

I’ve never made flan before, but it looks so fun to make and definitely yummy to eat. And your take sounds amazing, I especially love the extra holiday spices

Thanks for bringing this along to Fiesta Friday, good to have you back! x

December 8, 2014 at 10:02 am

Aww, thank you, Michelle!! I’m definitely in the holiday mood and thought making holiday-inspired flan would be awesome. Thanks for stopping by! πŸ™‚