Is there anything better than the smell of freshly baked muffins early in the morning? The scent of cinnamon and cloves intertwined with the sweet bananas and nuts fill the air with a warmth reminiscent of a soft, fluffy blanket or a nice pair of fuzzy socks. Luckily, I didn’t have to wait long before indulging in one of these treats, and neither will you, because these muffins come together in no time!
Sometimes, less is more, and I wanted to keep things simple by using ingredients that I already had at home. From three overripe bananas that I didn’t want to throw away and a bag of walnuts just begging to be used in something tasty, these Banana Walnut Muffins were born.
One of the things that I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t require any electric mixtures or gadgets, just good ol’ fashion elbow grease and maybe even just a tiny bit of love <3. In less than an hour, you’ll be chillin’ out maxin’ relaxin’ all cool while taking big bites out of your freshly baked muffins.
Whip these up on Christmas morning to enjoy as you open presents by the tree. Drizzle with honey or spread with any of your favorite fruit jams and you’ve got yourself a tasty little treat perfect for any time of day!
Banana Walnut Muffins
Recipe credit: Simply Recipes Banana Nut Muffins
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tbsp espresso or strong coffee (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted or raw)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, egg, espresso and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
- Add the flour, mix until it is just incorporated. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour mixture into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Muffins are done when toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack.