Although they say there’s nothing more American than an apple pie, I thought I’d try switching things up this Independence Day and make a Strawberry-Raspberry Rhubarb Slab Pie, instead.
Bursting with berries and full of flavor, this star spangled beauty will have you saying, “I pledge allegiance to this pie” because, to me, it’s just that good. While rhubarb is still a fairly new ingredient in my life, it plays well with the sweet/tart flavors added by both the strawberries and raspberries.
This was also my first time making a slab pie, and while there was a little bit of a challenge to roll it out large enough to fit the pan, I thought the outcome and presentation were stunning. I love everything about it and hopefully you will, too.
Have a Happy 4th of July!!
Strawberry-Raspberry Rhubarb Slab Pie
- 1 pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 rhubarb stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup of raspberries
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine all of the ingredients, minus the turbinado sugar, in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Roll out pie crust to the size of your baking sheet and carefully place into the baking sheet with about an inch hanging over on each side.
- Add the filling to the pie crust, brush the edges with egg wash, and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 45-50 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before cutting.