Baking Cooking Food Recipes

Easy Homemade Granola

One of my favorite, treats for on-the-go snacking has most definitely got to be granola. It’s quick to pack, doesn’t leave a huge mess, and is one of the simplest things to make. I love it for its versatility – as it can be sprinkled over yogurt, in ice cream, or eaten just on its own – and the variety in what can be included in your granola is never ending.

This is great to have during those mornings when you’re rushing out the door and don’t have time to eat a proper breakfast and it lasts for up to two weeks in an airtight container, even though I’m sure it’ll be gone way before then!

You can use any nuts, seeds, and dried fruit (and even chocolate and coconut shavings) that you’d like, so I used walnuts and almonds and pepitas (aka pumpkins seeds) and sunflower seeds. I even threw in half a cup of quinoa to give it that extra crunch and health boost and of course a nice serving of raisins and dried cranberries. It sounds like a lot, but I promise it isn’t!

Just mix all of these ingredients together, pop them in the oven for about 45 minutes, and you’ve got yourself an awesome, quick snack for you and your family to eat anywhere you’d like. Enjoy!

I’m delighted to share this at Fiesta Friday #51 hosted by the lovely Angie over at The Novice Gardener. Hope to see you there!!

Fiesta Friday Badge Button I party @

Easy Homemade Granola

• Difficulty: easy

Ingredients

• 3 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups of choice of seeds and nuts (I used sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and almonds)
  • 1 cup of dried fruit (I used dried cranberries and raisins)
  • 1/4 cup of honey (or agave nectar or maple syrup)
  • 1/4 of coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg white, scrambled

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
  2. Mix all of the ingredients, except for the dried fruit, in a large bowl making sure that everything is fully incorporated.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly spread granola mixture on.
  4. Place into oven and cook for about 40-45 minutes, stirring even 10 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and allow to cool down before mixing in dried fruit.
  6. Store in airtight container for up to two weeks.

cookingwithauntjuju.com
    January 16, 2015 at 4:21 pm

This is the second granola recipe I have looked at today – I just have to make my own. You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing your version of granola with the Fiesta Friday partygoers 🙂 I feel like I am in a storm – a snow storm!

apuginthekitchen
    January 16, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Homemade granola is the best and I like your recipe. I like to eat it right out of the container or with almond milk, now I need to make some.

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 17, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Yes! Granola is definitely one of my favorite snacks to eat 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂 And Happy Fiesta Friday!

Hilda
    January 16, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I am always prepared to try a new granola recipe. I like the scrambled egg white which I’ve never tried before. I presume that replaces some of the oil.

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 17, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Yes, this one is great 🙂 I was looking at different recipes and saw one use an egg white, I was hoping it’d help make those nice little clusters of nut and oat, but no such luck. I have to keep working on my recipe to finally perfect those little yummy granola clusters.

Fiesta Friday #51 | The Novice Gardener
    January 16, 2015 at 9:50 pm

[…] Justine G […]

Jhuls
    January 17, 2015 at 8:25 am

Hmmm, the second granola recipe I have seen here at FF. This looks definitely a winner. Thankyou for sharing such an amazing recipe. Happy FF and see you at FF#52? 🙂

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 17, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much! If you ever give it a try I hope you enjoy it just as much. Happy Fiesta Friday and of course I’ll be there for the big anniversary! 😀

Nancy
    January 17, 2015 at 11:00 am

I made myself a promise to make homemade granola in 2014… a promise that was broken… Thanks for providing the kick in the butt to rectify my granola-less last year. 🙂 This sounds delicious, yet easily made! Love all of the ingredients you used!

Born and Bred in Brooklyn
      January 17, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Thanks so much, Nancy! You just mix it all together, throw it in the oven and you’ve got a great snack. Thanks for stopping by 😉

Karen
    January 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making my own granola! I eat it with everything when I’m feeling peckish haha.
    Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe!
    MUCH LOVE KAREN
    (STYLESMORGASBORD) [BLOGLOVIN])

Very Berry Yogurt Breakfast Parfait | Born and Bred in Brooklyn
    April 17, 2015 at 11:28 am

[…] showing itself, which is why I think I’m such a fruit addict today. And I decided to use the Easy Homemade Granola recipe that I made a while back because I thought it would go well with all of the other […]